Thursday, July 15, 2010

Quite Moments of Wasting Time


I was thinking about wasting time today, as I had to fill in four hours due to the massive turn out for the morning life drawing class. I was thinking about pleasant places that I have spent time in, waiting. I used to spend much more time waiting outside when I lived in Melbourne; usually waiting for friends, waiting for trams, waiting for my shift to start, waiting for whatever. I don't really do that much waiting at the moment and I think that is perhaps not such a good thing. So life drawing was great, I left the class with a sore arm and a smile. When I arrived home I found a clipping from Realtime in amongst a bunch of papers I had emptied out of my art folder, the clipping was for a performance entiled Bench by the UK artist Jenna Watt (pictured above). The performance sounded rather lovely: basically Watt on a bench sitting, waiting, talking, taking the odd Polariod, recording a thought onto it and pegging it on a string line.
It made me think of all the sweet little places I used to go and take time out. It also made me think of that lovely little church's courtyard that I have'nt been to in a long time. I think it is time to go, seek out, sit and wait and record my own experience of the inbetween moments that I am so interested in.